The Complete Argo Recordings
Choir of St Johns College Cambridge
Delivery from US $23.77
* Delivery cost to United States of America (based on your detected location) for a single item. Adding multiple items to your order can reduce the cost per item. Choosing a different delivery option can change the cost per item. Final delivery cost will be shown in order review page.
- Release Date 04 September 2020
- Sorry Sold Out
- Product code
- CD Box Set
Under George Guest’s leadership St John’s established a reputation as one of the finest choirs in the world. During his tenure (1951-1991), Guest brought a vibrant continental edge to the traditionally smooth Anglican tone and defined the unique “Sound of St John’s” with a significant emphasis on clear enunciation and an emotionally direct approach.
Guest extended the traditional cathedral and collegiate repertoire with the performance of French choral music and was famous for reviving many neglected 16th century masses, the late Haydn masses and for introducing the motets of Bruckner and Poulenc into Cathedral tradition – always with a clear sense of each musical period. This approach helped to set St John’s apart from King’s College Cambridge, and avoided duplication in their recordings.
The complete recorded legacy on Decca of one of the most influential music directors of English Cathedral music:
- 42 CDs, mastered from the original tapes, and presented with original jackets
- Includes the first international Decca CD release of Langlais’ Messe Solennelle, Palestrina’s Missa brevis à 4, Flor Peeters’ Missa Festiva, Purcell’s Thy word is a Lantern, Z61, works by Casciolini, Gabrieli, Gesualdo, Banchieri, and two further CDs: 5 & 31
- Extensive booklet notes with photographs from the College’s archives and from George Guest’s personal family archives.